To build on the success of the inaugural meeting in 2016, the directors of the SSIA have started to plan this year’s event, which will take place in November. There will be an AGM and a dinner held on Tuesday 14th, with the main conference programme running all day on Wednesday 15th.
The SSIA is a forum for all industry voices, and people with any interest in this emerging sector are welcome to register and participate – please save the date, and click here to register!
The 2017 SSIA Conference
Oban – Wednesday 15th November 2017
This year’s conference of the SSIA takes place in Oban in just over a fortnight.
Registration will be kept open as long as possible, but if you are intending to attend, the organisers would be grateful if you could book your place sooner rather than later, to help with with catering and other arrangements.
For members, the AGM and a dinner will be held on Tuesday 14th, while the conference programme will run all day on Wednesday 15th.
The SSIA is a forum for all industry voices, and anyone with interests in this emerging sector are welcome to register and participate.
Follow this link to reach the registration page for the conference
The registration costs are:
• £30 for SSIA members
• £50 for non-members
• £15 for students
If you know of colleagues who would like to kept up to date with the work of the SSIA, please follow this link to add additional names to this circulation list.
A very full day is planned, with speakers representing different interests across the supply chain.
The presentations which have been confirmed include:
• The Place of Seaweed in Human Health Products – Craig Rose, Seaweed & Co
• Processing, drying and packaging – Fiona Houston, Mara Seaweed
• Abiotic Fators in the Cultivation and Composition of Seaweed – Helena Abreu, Algaplus
• EMFF project on harvesting Hyperborea – SRSL
• Sustainable harvesting – Jim Keogh, Acadian Seaplants
• Intellectual Asset Protection – Donald Lawrie, Lawrie IP
• The Arsenic Content of Seaweed – Liam Morrison, NUI Galway
• Crown Estate Scotland’s Role in Developing the Industry – Alex Adrian
Accommodation in Oban
There are plenty of accommodation options in the Oban area, but we have arranged special prices with the Columba Hotel, which is also where the AGM will be held. The offer is £62 for a standard double/twin room, or £72 for a sea-view double/twin. To take advantage of these, please call the hotel directly on 01631 562183, and mention ‘seaweed’.